Sunday, June 15

Fan of Thrift

I am a fan of thrift (refer to my rummage posts from a few years ago). Over time I have discovered that a greater variety of apparel is available through outlets such as Goodwill and Value Village, and the prices far more tolerable than retail stickers in new goods stores. I've found not just promotional tee-shirts and halloween pieces, but new-with-tags-on name-brand blouses, once-used party apparel, and like-new dress shoes. I've worn these finds casually, to the office, and out to dinner and galas.

I relish the minimal amount spent and make no effort to hide my purchase price. I carry a classic Coach purse and brag about having it for just $12. I've worn my favorite summer skirts--bought for perhaps $8 apiece--nearly to pieces over years of use (the fabric is worn to soft comfort!). My bare-shouldered black chiffon with scattered cherries was only $10 from a rummage sale and I dress it up, down, and every which way to suit any event.

I have come to believe in what my friend Beth calls "Goodwill karma," in that one must donate good things in order to expect good things. I drop off my ill-fitting pieces (apparently I'm no longer a size 6) in the convenient drive-through lane on the side of the local store. It seems to work well, as I am seldom disappointed when I am hunting for something in particular.

I also enjoy non-clothing items and keep a perpetual list of items on my smartphone should I find myself with a few spare minutes in Goodwill's toys aisles. Ravensburger and Kodachrome ($1.49 each!) make high quality and graphically pleasing puzzles and rarely have I ended up short on the pieces. Various series of Starbucks mugs make their way to the racks and I'm keen to collect them as gifts for friends.

Gifts?! I give used goods as gifts? Indeed, I do, and I make no secret of it. The items I choose are clean and, for all appearances, new. After my washing the item is likely cleaner than it was when it was factory-new with chemicals applied for the short term assurance of luster and shine on the shelf. I model this behavior, too, when you consider that I place my used-and-laundered clothing purchases on my bare skin.

If you have never been to a thrift store I encourage you to take a look. Modern layouts mimic department stores, complete with merchandising, dressing rooms, and sales racks. Many have return policies. The stock turns over frequently and weekly sales ensure beyond-belief bargains on a regular basis.

And, because of my adherence to Goodwill karma, I'm not afraid to share these secrets as there is always plenty for us all to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci!