Sunday, March 1

Report on OTBN

True to my committment, I stopped what I was doing at 7:30, went downstairs, and opened a bottle I'd been saving for a "special occasion."

Now, the bottle I chose wasn't held back because it was a special vintage, particularly expensive, or represented a sentimental purchase. In fact, it was something of an impulse purchase at a lovely wine-tasting event at which we were guests. I thought it'd be nice to have something a little different on hand, perhaps to "impress" guests with my forethought to have such an unusual wine should the appopriate time present itself.

It's definitely a dessert wine - very sweet, with, well, rhubarb overtones, undertones, and middle tones. There's no question of its rhubarbedness. Perhaps it would have gone well with cheese, but I wasn't much interested in the leftover taco cheddar from dinner; my cheese stash seems to be depleted. Hmmm... I should fix that (field trip to Grocery Outlet, anyone?).

I poured a glass and slowly consumed it with my book. I poured a second, smaller glass and mulled over that for awhile longer. Ken joined me and I poured him a glass. He tasted and politely didn't say another word.

Around 9 o'clock we put away our reading materials, corked the bottle, and went back upstairs. Myself, I was extraordinarly thirsty. Rhubarb must have an excessive dehydration factor, because I gulped 2 or 3 tall glasses of water before bedtime before my thirst was quenched.

Well, at least it's gone now? Perhaps we can hope for better things at OTBN '10.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci!